I am learning Flink for a new project. I am trying to understand the
development/debug environment to help me step through my code to better
learn Flink. I am using the Intellij community edition for my IDE and Flink
1.17.0.

I am using this simple Flink app to demonstrate my issue.

//===========================================================================
package streamwindowprocessor;

import org.apache.flink.configuration.Configuration;
import org.apache.flink.streaming.api.datastream.DataStream;
import
org.apache.flink.streaming.api.environment.StreamExecutionEnvironment;

public class SimpleFlink {

        final StreamExecutionEnvironment env =
StreamExecutionEnvironment.createLocalEnvironmentWithWebUI(conf);
//        final StreamExecutionEnvironment env =
StreamExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment();

        DataStream<String> values = env.socketTextStream("localhost", 9999);
        values.print();

        env.execute("Alarm Stream Processor");
    }
}
//===========================================================================

Before I run this from the IDE, I start up a socket listener on a terminal:

nc -lkp 9999

Then I open a web browser to localhost:8081 and get this output

{

   - errors:
   [
      - "Not found: /"
      ]

}

If instead, I use ./start-cluster.sh to start a standalone cluster, rebuild
my jar using getExecutionEnvironment() and submit that same simple jar
using ./flink.sh run <path-to-jar>, then I can open the browser to
localhost:8081 and I do see my app running, as expected, and it processes
strings I send via the running netcat.

Someone in SO noted that you should add this dependency, which I did and it
made no difference.

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.flink</groupId>
  <artifactId>flink-runtime-web</artifactId>
  <version>${flink.version}</version>
</dependency>

*Can anyone help me understand why the web UI does not work
in createLocalEnvironmentWithWebUI()?*

Thanks,
Mark