Hi Deepti,

Thx Zhanghao for the explanation about the 1.x lifecycle.

For the description of 'experimental support for Java17 in Flink 1.18, I
think the community means that it has not been fully tested in some
scenarios like Hive/Hbase1.x Connectors.  As of known issues mentioned in
FLINK-32380 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-32380> and
JDK-8277529 <https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8277529>, the first one is
fixed in Flink 1.19 but has not been released yet and the second one can be
resolved by using the latest build of JDK17.

So generally speaking, if you are asking for suggestions to run in
commercial product environment, in my humble opinion I would suggest you
run Flink-1.17.2 release if you don't have a strong dependency on the
features of a higher version. Since this version has been released more
than 1 year and received a lot of bug fix feedback from production
including in the release of 1.17.1[1] and 1.17.2[2].

For for running Java 17 with Flink, personally I would suggest you compile
on Java11 and run on Java17 since this works well in our production
environment. By doing this, we can avoid many compatibility issues while
enjoying Java17 runtime improvements at the same time.

One last point I wish to add, there are still many other factors to
consider by applying Flink in your commercial production environment, like
your team's experience with Flink and new JDK. My advice is based only on
my personal experience. Hope this helps you!

[1]
https://flink.apache.org/2023/05/25/apache-flink-1.17.1-release-announcement/
[2]
https://flink.apache.org/2023/11/29/apache-flink-1.17.2-release-announcement/