On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 14:50 -0400, Paterline, David L. wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I'm a new user of Forrest, and am investigating its use as an interface for
> our online computer code documentation. Unfortunately, we will need two
> different 'views' of the site - one for internal users and a second, more
> restricted version for external users.
>
> Simply put, there will be some information (some links) which we only wish
> to show to our internal users.
>
> I'm hoping to be able to generate these two views without duplicating
> information, to minimize maintenance cost and errors.
>
> So, my question is, can I somehow mark certain portions of the information,
> then do two builds - one for internal, with "include=all" and one for
> external with "exclude=somestuff"?

I am answering you because you said you are in the process of evaluating
forrest. What I am going to write is *not* fully included in the 0.7
release (it is in the whiteboard) but will hopefully go officially into
0.8.

We have created a new skinning engine that we called "views". With this
engine it will be possible to define *role specific* views within *one*
file. Right now this new engine is only a prototype implementation but
we will work on it once we did the 0.7 release.

Like I stated in the introduction I just mention that because you said
you are evaluating forrest. ...and we already have one site that is
build with views: http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker

salu2
--
thorsten