I'm not sure exactly what your registerInterest call looks like, but you
may want to use the method that takes an additional argument of enum type
InterestResultPolicy as that specifies the behavior when making the call.
The default is to immediately return all keys and values to the caller. You
may consider instead an enum value of NONE or KEYS.