I was under the impression that the default AlertLevel was ERROR but it may
have been changed to SEVERE at some point.

There are two ways to register for Alerts. First way is to get the
AlertingService from InternalDistributedSystem and invoke addAlertListener.
The second way is to register for JMX notifications on the
DistributedSystemMXBean. There are quite a few tests for both within
geode-core.

It's been several years since I've used Pulse, but I do remember seeing
Alerts in Pulse and I don't think it required any additional steps. I'm not
familiar with the Pulse code, but I don't see any tests in geode-pulse for
Alerts so you may have to do some digging to determine what the current
behavior is. If that behavior doesn't match the docs, then I would suspect
that you've found a bug.

I only see one Alert related bug in Jira: GEODE-5923
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-5923> JMX manager receives
local Alerts only for the default AlertLevel.

-Kirk