I'm seeing this too. You are correct in thinking it has to do with interop depending on openejb-core. I think Mark is trying to fix it properly. Meanwhile adding

modules/interop/project.xml,\

to the list of multiproject.excludes in project.properties will help. I'm not sure if there is an additional problem waiting in assembly.