How are you setting up the datasource for j2 to use? You need to look up something like java:comp/env/jdbc/jetspeed and either deploy a datasource "named" jdbc/jetspeed or map it to whatever the datasource is named.

If you are deploying the datasource in the same plan as j2 (I recommend doing this) you need to use geronimo head because the appropriate dependencies to force the correct start order were only added last week.

If you are still having problems please show us your geronimo plan.