On Nov 24, 2005, at 10:38 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I was going to mention that :-).  You still haven't told me how your
 >(presumably j2ee) application finds the part of the RM to talk to.
 >This could be an important part of the picture :-).

Applications invoke our own user-transaction-like class, which keeps
track of the change set. So when that happens, if I can find the transaction
manager then I can call getTransaction.enlistResource(XAResource).

How does the application get the instance of your class? Or is it a static method call? There isn't really any way to bind anything not specified in the j2ee spec into the geronimo java:comp/env jndi namespace. We've thought about providing a way to get a proxy to any gbean from jndi but it isn't very clear how to fit this into the j2ee requirements/plans.

It looks like any gbean can use the kernel (or some other object, I
can't remember) to invoke any method on any other gbean, so I can do
that too. Although I am going to write a gbean to emulate a startup
class so I can also use a reference.

Thanks a lot for the detailed description of how to write a recoverable
resource manager. I just realized that since my cache has no persistent
state independent of the db, so I don't need recovery.
:-)

If I did want to get list under the "ResourceManagers" collection I would have to change the j2ee-server plan, whereas I would prefer to use an official plan. However, you could add a line in a future release for RMs which are
not JCA-based:

<references name="ResourceManagers">
        <pattern><gbean-name>geronimo.server: j2eeType=JCAManagedConnectionFactory,*</gbean-name></pattern>             <pattern><gbean-name>geronimo.server:j2eeType=ActivationSpec,*</gbean- name></pattern>

        <pattern><gbean-name> <!-- pattern for other third-party RMs --> </gbean-name></pattern>