On Nov 24, 2005, at 11:49 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What would work just as well for me would be to be able to check in a skeleton and then deploy the plans the first time I build and deploy the application. I am even willing
to copy all the files over, as long as I am not checking them in.

I'm not sure what you mean by "checking them in", could you be more specific?

If I can help it I will not check in things which can be derived from other things. For example, your config-store can be derived from the plans (and I am not sure what else.) The dependencies are third-party jars, etc.

I think you are doing this already when you build geronimo using maven. I just have to find out what steps to take between compiling and starting the server. Can I just blow away config-store and then deploy the
plans I want?

Geronimo is extremely modular, and almost all the configuration pieces are in the config-store. So if you remove the contents of the config-store you will have almost nothing left.

To see my idea of how geronimo should be assembled, look at the configs and assemblies directories. The directories under configs each build one configuration and store it in the local maven repository. The directories under assemblies assemble a set of configurations specified in the project.xml into a geronimo server. I think this is the best approach for constructing anything but the most standard server. However, it is not entirely done. For instance, I haven't figured out a reasonable replacement for deployer.jar.

The output of an assemblies module is a geronimo server in a zip file in your local maven repo. As noted, you can include pretty much anything you want in it, including j2ee applications. To install, you just unzip it and run.

Is it possible to use this, perhaps:

java -jar deployer.jar deploy <plan> <file>

That works. I think using one of the maven-based approaches is much easier and more development-process-friendly. One of these is the configs/assemblies approach noted above. You might look at the trade app in the sandbox, in the derby module, for an alternate maven based deployment approach.

Hope this helps, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking about this time :-)

david jencks

Guglielmo

David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

11/24/2005 11:28 AM