You could start by just trying 2 config stores. Add another one to the j2ee-system plan and rebuild everything. If the server starts we can start worrying about how to put stuff there:-)

I'm very interested in using the geronimo repo as the immutable config store: for at least gbean-only configurations I think packed car files will work fine. The MavenConfigStore n the packaging plugin may be repurposable for this.