We don't do anything like that. For us, servlet context params must be set in web.xml.

I would be willing to consider allowing them to be overridden in the geronimo plan for that web app, but I don't think it's a good idea to have a global override across web apps. You could try convincing me otherwise :-)

Another mechanism you might consider is using system properties. We have a gbean that lets you set as many system properties as you want, and of course they are available to all applications. There's an example of this gbean in the rmi-naming plan/configuration.