1. I hope you named the file openejb-jar.xml
2. jta-datasource and non-jta-datasource have to contain the names of the datasources in the geronimo plan used for the pool, NOT some jndi name you might also map them to. The datasources don't need to be bound in jndi in order to be used for jpa 3. The non-jta-datasource must be a datasource that really has no transaction support, using the <no-transaction/> element instead of <local-transaction/> or <xa-transaction>... in the connector plan. With derby I find it necessary to have a non-jta-datasource if any ddl is needed or if openjpa is generating the primary keys. I don't know if you can get away without one for other databases. If you want to experiment, leave out the non-jta-datasource rather than duplicating the jta-datasource contents.

hope this helps
david jencks