Thank you for your reply Ivan.

When we migrated the app to WAS 8.5, we faced a problem that was caused by
this exact situation you describe: javassist was already loaded by the
parent classloader. We did not change that, instead we scoped the javassist
classpool singleton we use to create the runtime classes to our code (we
were using the default classpool before). Long story short the app runs now
on WAS 8.5 with the default "parent first" classloading policy.

However, your idea is quite good. I will try to hide the javassist.*
namespace from our app's classloader using the geronimo-web.xml
configuration you suggest and I will post my findings here.

It will take a few days (currently on vacation).

Regards // Dimitris