if I type following keys I can see the japanese characters in hiragana

 biyoin

this means I am able to pass japanese keyboard layout to Guacamole and able
to type most of the keys.

but when I press the \ key (as per my hardware japanese keyboard), it does
not type anything. The key @ types some other character. similarly there
are more keys which are either not typing anything or typing incorrecct
characters

I am using a Japanese hardware keyboard with 106/109 layout.

I had this same problem with MSTSC also. I checked in control panel ->
language options that the keyboard layout was set to "English keyboard
101/102".  I changed the hardware keyboard layout to  "Japanese  106/109
key" , then the problem stopped and all keys started functioning correctly
using mstsc.

So I think the problem I am having when using Guacamole has to do with
keyboard layout.

Can you tell me what am I missing ?

I have passed the below parameter as well.

*server-layout* is :   ja-jp-qwerty

Regards,
Amarjeet Singh