On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM, amarjeetxc <amarjee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> RDP protocol has option to do video redirection, in which case the video is
> not rendered on the server side but is streamed to RDP client and is played
> by the client. do you think that can be supported?

RDP's video redirection is actually specific to Windows Media Player and
Microsoft's own video format.

> My major concern is the CPU hogging by guacd for a single RDP connection.
> Playing a video via RDP will certainly use more CPU cycles on the guacd
> host
> but consuming 100% of the CPU means other services on the same host can not
> get enough CPU time. and so I am concerned that if more users connect to
> same host and do RDP, would all get fair share of the CPU and if some CPU
> will be left for the host system or other necessary services on the system.

While it is true that an intensive task like re-encoding YouTube video will
reduce the cycles available, keep in mind that:

1) The kernel will be dynamically scheduling things to allocate a
reasonable amount of CPU time to each process.
2) guacd will be dynamically adjusting the framerate based on time spent
and time available for encoding, as well as other factors.

An extremely heavy connection will not have zero impact, but it will also
not starve out all other processes. Things will be balanced as best as
possible.

I am going to now automate 25 user connections using Chrome connecting via
> Guacamole to 25 Win 10 VMs running a simple app inside browser session with
> no moving component.

For this to be a valid test, you will need to ensure:

1) The 25 Windows VMs are on separate hardware from the Guacamole server.
2) You are using 25 separate copies of Chrome, on 25 separate and
independent machines.

- Mike