On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:22 AM, JimL <jimmy.lawren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to increase the frame rate received through WebSocket in VNC
> session?
>
> For example, in TurboVNC, in case of low network, I can adjust the image
> compression level to increase my frame rate. Is this possible through
> Guacamole? Is it also possible to disable any image compression on
> Guacamole
> to give lossless image output?

Guacamole currently lacks the settings for compression to be able to do
this within the Guacamole Client interface; however, it can be done in
source code.  If you find such settings useful, you can open a JIRA issue
and request it as a feature.  However, compression is generally only a
problem if your system is either CPU or memory-bound, so if you're not
seeing excessive CPU utilization or memory problems, disabling it may not
make any difference.

> If such modifications are possible, could you give me some pointers on how
> to go about it in the source code?

They should be possible.  I suggest taking a look at the
LibVNCServer/LibVNCClient documentation:

https://libvnc.github.io/doc/html/group__libvncclient__api.html

It contains information on the function calls for setting encoding and
compression.  The Guacamole Server code initializes the VNC (rfb) client,
here:

https://github.com/apache/guacamole-server/blob/b61a6ab758177b4d4cec4a3a0a2f51a3e76c3772/src/protocols/vnc/vnc.c#L127

You can see there that the encodings get initialized from the provided
options, and then the call to rfbInitClient contains two parameters set to
NULL - you can set those as documented in the API documentation and see
what happens.