On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 4:29 PM sciUser <shulb...@securitycentric.net> wrote:

> Question:
>
> What if we are not using a Terminal Server (Cost to much) and just
> standalone servers (2016-2019) no active directory insight or Desktops
> (Windows 7 Pro or windows 10 Pro) or Linux Desktop?
> How is this achieved?

So, here's the thing.  It works on Windows 7 and 10, but only on the
Enterprise, Educational, or Ultimate editions of these operating systems.
And, since using the Enterprise edition in a VDI environment also requires
that you purchase under a EA and maintain Software Assurance, it's actually
cheaper in many instances to license Windows Server with RDS than it is to
purchase multiple copies of Windows 7/10 Enterpise and maintain annual SA
on it.  This may not be true for the Educational route - I've never looked
into that pricing - but it's almost certainly the case for Enterprise and
Ultimate.

However, if you're convinced you must go the route of the desktop O/Ss,
there is a tool that allows for configuring registry settings for the
RemoteApp configuration:

http://www.kimknight.net/remoteapptool

I've used it, and it seems to work fine - when you go to specify the Remote
Application in the configuration, the syntax is:

"||AppName"

Where AppName is the name of the application you've configured, either with
the Windows Server utilities or the RemoteAppTool.