Like Sean I've not done anything much with the Docker image - in fact I've never used it.

However I did try converting an Ubuntu 20.04 Guacamole VM with MySQL auth to use the user-mapping.xml file.

The following seemed to work:

mv /etc/guacamole/extensions/guacamole-auth-jdbc-mysql-1.1.0.jar /home/ (moved rather than deleted as I wanted to put it back after this test!)

mv /etc/guacamole/guacamole.properties /home (as above)

nano /etc/guacamole/user-mapping.xml (create the necessary user detail in this file etc)

service guacd restart

service tomcat9 restart

After this I was able to log into Guacamole with the user-mapping user/pass, and was at the login page for an RDP target I had running. I didn't go any further but have no reason to assume it wouldn't work as advertised from there.

That said, I'm not totally certain that's all that'd be required, you may find something else you need to do. Either way if you do successfully modify the image it'd be useful if you posted your findings/method back to the list in case anyone else wants to do this, thanks.