Von: Mike Jumper <mjum...@apache.org>
Gesendet: Monday, 20 July 2020 11:44
An: user@guacamole.apache.org
Betreff: Re: securing connection passwords

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020, 00:56 Joachim Lindenberg <joac...@lindenberg.one
<mailto:joac...@lindenberg.one> > wrote:

Hello all,

I have been thinking about the issue a little.

Afai understand using a key vault implies a user (assuming we talk about user
specific credentials rather than connection specific) has to deposit and then
change his/her password in two locations consistently: the active directory (as
RDP usually authenticates against that) plus the new key vault. It is not
unlikely that a user will forget and lock out himself/herself., calling for
additional support. Imho it is also questionable that the key vault worsens
your security properties as it has reversable encryption compared to the active
directory using one way functions.

I don't imagine users would ever be expected to maintain their own passwords in
a vault, nor have access to the vault itself. Use of a vault would make sense
only when its contents are maintained independently by some other system,
presumably the same system which creates and controls the accounts being used.

If Active Directory is in use, there is no need for a vault at all. You can
just point Guacamole at Active Directory using LDAP and leverage credential
pass-through.