From: Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2021 5:15 AM
To: user@guacamole.apache.org
Subject: [External] Re: VNC: multi monitor support (like UltraVNC)

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 11:47 AM Neil Canham
<neil.can...@vcommsolutions.com<mailto:neil.can...@vcommsolutions.com>> wrote:
That would be of great interest to me too - I know there was a feature request
a long time back but I suspect it may not be a high priority and I vaguely
remember some technical issues? Not sure

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 at 16:24, Abramson, Eli
<eli.abram...@honeywell.com.invalid<mailto:eli.abram...@honeywell.com.invalid>>
wrote:
In the UltraVNC client it is possible to use the “Select Full Desktop / Switch
monitor(driver)” button to switch between the displays of the remote Windows
machine. Is this possible in Guacamole? In general, I can’t seem to find
documentation on multi-monitor support. Does it exist?

It's probably important, here, to make sure what is meant by "multi-monitor
support." From Eli's view, it seems like the request is that the VNC protocol
be able to trigger a swap between different monitors, so that a single client
monitor (Guacamole session) can "see" what's on different remote monitors
without having to display it at the same time. That's a slightly different
request from most of the ones that have come up on the list before, which is
usually about improving how Guacamole spans multiple monitors on the client
side. As you mention, Neil, that has been discussed, and does have its
challenges.

I'm not sure if libvncserver/client supports triggering that monitor swap - I'm
not sure if this is part of the original VNC spec, or a more proprietary
extension of one of the VNC systems. Seems like if it is implemented in
UltraVNC there's a decent chance it's more standard.