Robert,

Thanks, your second email hadn't arrived when I was typing my reply, but that's useful to know.

WRT catalina_home or catalina_base, people more eloquent than me have explained that here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3090398/tomcat-catalina-base-and-catalina-home-variables
https://askubuntu.com/questions/46757/catalina-home-vs-catalina-base

You'll need to manually create /etc/guacamole and subdirs before either copying or creating the requisite files within. You can see one way of doing that in the detail I posted earlier.

On 1/09/22 15:40, Robert Simmons wrote:
 > You don't say what distribution you are using
That was in my second email: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (and I posted my install script).

 > You will see where I've put the .war file (and the symlink
Ok, so I am putting the file in the correct location. Should CATALINA_HOME in the documentation be changed to CATALINA_BASE? And if not, what is the difference and reason that it should be different from what is reported by a new install of Tomcat?

 > the user mapping file is probably best avoided if you can.
This is understandable. However, I'm confused by the documentation mentioning that this file is provided with the install. Since "make install" in my case did not result in the creation of /etc/guacamole I am trying to determine if the install process has failed at some critical point, or that this directory and its contents are not expected to be created by the install and it is expected that I should create the directory and its contents.