On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 10:08 PM Yang Yang <yy8...@icloud.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Thank you very much for the response! I searched around and did not find a
> viable way for GPU acclerate to cairo, which once supported OpenGL but the
> support was dropped recently.
>
> As users get better displays (4k,144Hz...), lacking of GPU acceleration in
> graphic rendering might not be such a big problem for desktop applications,
> but for guacd which is a gateway with many user sessions, graphic rendering
> performance might be real issue as I understand. How do you think about that?
> If we are looking to use a second graphic rendering lib, e.g. skia which is
> popular and has good support to GPU, could you give some guidance? Where and
> how shall we start?

We have discussed adding GPU acceleration to guacd in the past in
order to improve performance, but no one has had a chance to work on
it, yet. It's also a bit of a corner-case, and has some constraints
that decrease the value of it. There aren't a lot of people who are
doing high-performance graphics rendering that need that kind of
power, and guacd does a perfectly fine job with most workloads using
just a CPU. There's also limitations on how many FPS a browser will
actually render (might 30-60, I think - at least, this has been the
case in the past), and pushing guacd so that it will go beyond that
won't make much difference if the clients themselves can't actually
display it.

If you're wanting to work on it you're definitely welcome to - the
contribution would be welcome and the support would be positive.