On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 5:49 AM Bianconi, Luca <lbianc...@knoell.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> for a customer project we have the need to implement a restriction that
> prevent users from logging in through a remote desktop connection if a
> disconnected session exists.
>

> For this reason we would to inquire about the feasibility of implementing
> a load management feature similar to as it is in Citrix Virtual Apps and
> Desktops that specifies the maximum number of sessions a server can host as
> described in the following document
> https://blog.citrix24.com/xenapp-7-15-vda-load-index-explained/

Guacamole already has some load-balancing features built-in, including:
* Restrictions on the number of connections per server.
* Restrictions on the number of sessions per user.
* A balancing Connection Group type that balances load between servers and
can also restrict to a maximum number of connections.
* Session affinity, where users who disconnect will be placed back on the
most recent server they connected to, assuming it's available.

This is covered in the JDBC authentication section of the manual:
https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/jdbc-auth.html#concurrent-use-of-guacamole-connections

What this does _not_ include is the ability to track or limit disconnected
sessions on the servers themselves - so, while it can do "Session
Affinity," it has no actual knowledge of where disconnected sessions exist
on the remote servers.