We are testing Apache Guacamole to try to address digital inequity in our
school where students who cannot afford high-end devices can still use
software like Fusion360. We have it on what we think is an adequately
powered VM (8GB RAM + 2 vCPUs). We are not running NGINX on it because it
is internal use only (students connect their devices to the school Wi-Fi to
access it) and not exposed to anywhere else. The RDP hosts are not VMs but
are physical desktops. We find that when we connect via an RDP client
directly to the physical desktop, there is no screen tearing but when we
connect to it via Guacamole, the screen tearing is bad.

Our reading of the manual seems to indicate that NGINX only provides a
security layer and does not affect performance. Is this right?

What else can we look at to improve the situation?