On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 4:53 PM Johnnie W Adams <jxad...@ualr.edu> wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
>      I'm comparing my installation to the one I inherited, and I noticed
> that the one I inherited has guacd installed as a systemd unit file, but
> the one I built does not. Did I do something wrong in the configuration?
> Both installations are 1.5.4 to the best of my knowledge. (I'm not entirely
> certain how to determine it on the one I inherited.)

There's an option in the configure script for enabling systemd:

  --with-systemd-dir=<path>
                          install systemd units to the given directory

You'll need to run that and provide a path to the directory you'd like to
install the systemd unit files in (/etc/systemd/system is common).

Also, depending on your system configuration, you may need to change the
user that guacd runs under. The default one in the systemd file included
with the distribution is "daemon", however, on many systems this user does
not have a writable home directory (RHEL and variants use /sbin as the home
directory), and RDP connections will likely fail due to the inability of
the user to write out the FreeRDP known_hosts file. So, you may also want
to create a user account and change the systemd file such that guacd runs
under its own user account.