No, we’re authenticating users against a proprietary back end, and a
generic auth hook would be _so_ convenient. We had to create the ldap
server for this as you say, but people can and do use an email address when
registering with us, so supporting any conceivable email address is quite
important. I was just using this one for testing and found the problem.

I did wonder if it might be easier to make a custom auth extension rather
than an ldap server, but since we already had a library for ldap, we tried
that first.