On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Steffen Moser <li...@steffen-moser.de> wrote:

> Testing Guacamole with another minor revision of the 8.0 series of
> Apache Tomcat would require me manually building and installing it from
> the scratch as Oracle doesn't provide a suitable built. Is it
> necessary/required to do such tests for the development of Guacamole?

No, not generally.

For each release, we normally must perform regression tests against a
servlet container which does not support WebSocket at all (like Tomcat
6), servlet containers for which we provide specific WebSocket
implementations (like Tomcat 7 and Jetty 8), and a servlet container
which supports the WebSocket API standardized via JSR 356 (Tomcat 8
and others). Testing against multiple minor releases is rarely
necessary.

If we encounter an issue like the one you had during our own testing,
then testing against various versions to determine where things break
(and whether the problem is on our end) is warranted. The only time in
recent memory where that happened was in the early days of Docker
image development, when we found that WebSocket was broken in Tomcat
8.0.21 and 7.0.61. Tomcat fixed that rather quickly, and stepping
backward one Tomcat release was sufficient to resolve the problem in
the meantime.

- Mike