Are you getting any errors in your Tomcat log files?
Can you try pointing at port 3268 on your AD server, instead of the default
389?  There's an issue with querying the global catalog that is in the process
of being fixed (PR is open for it), and I think querying the non-GC-port
sometimes works.
-Nick

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 2:26:42 PM EDT, Erik Berndt