Another way to check if short circuit read is configured correctly.

As the user who is configured for short circuit read issue the following
command on a node where you expect the data to be read locally.

export HADOOP_ROOT_LOGGER=debug,console; hadoop dfs -cat /path/to/file_on_hdfs

On the console you should see something like "hdfs.DFSClient: New
BlockReaderLocal for file...."

This would confirm that short circuit read is happening.

--
Arpit Gupta
Hortonworks Inc.