Hi Nithin & Ted,

  Thanks for the replies.

 I don't know what my replication factor is, I don't seem to have set
anything in my configuration files. I run on a single node cluster. My data
node has gone down and came back, and also I didn't delete any of the hdfs
blocks.

 I know that name node enter safe mode when HDFS is restarted, and will
leave soon. Is it safe to execute command to leave safe mode? I mean, can
something wrong happen if we do it ourselves? because it wouldn't have
collected the needed data and could not leave the safe mode by itself?

  And, does the error I gave above indicate some clue as to what I could do
better?

Thanks,
Kishore