Hi!  a few weeks ago I had the same question... Tried a first iteration at
documenting this by going through the classes starting with key/value pairs in
the blog post below.

http://jayunit100.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-kv-pair-salmon-run-in-mapreduce-hdfs.html

Note it's not perfect yet but I think it should provide some insight into
things.  The lynch pin of it all is the DFSOutputStream and the DataStreamer
classes.   Anyways... Feel free to borrow the contents and roll your own , or
comment on it & leave some feedback,or let me know if anything is missing.

Definetly would be awesome to have a rock solid view of the full write path.