Check out how does the writing happens on HDFS...

When client issues the command   "hadoop fs -put local_source
hdfs_destination",  client contact the namenode that he wants to write and
then NameNode creates a blockID and ask three datanodes ( if replication on
the client side is set to 3) to host the replica. THis information is sent
to client and then client starts writing the data on to the data nodes by
forming pipe line..And then client write that much amount of data onto a
block which he has set.

Regards,
Som Shekhar Sharma
+91-8197243810