I am preparing to deploy multiple cluster / distros of Hadoop for testing /
benchmarking.

In my research I have noticed discrepancies in the version of the JDK that
various groups are using.  Example:  Hortonworks is suggesting JDK6u31, CDH
recommends either 6 or 7 providing you stick to some guidelines for each
and Apache Hadoop seems to be somewhat of a "no mans land"; a lot of people
using a lot of different versions.

Does anyone have any insight they could share about how to approach
choosing the best JDK release?  (I'm a total Java newb, so any info /
further reading you guys can provide is appreciated.)

Thanks.

sf