I believe there is a FUSE mount for hdfs which will allow you to open files
normally in your streaming app rather than requiring using the jav API.

Also consider that For Media and highly available binary data for a front end I
  would guess that hdfs might be overkill because of the blocking/nn
requirement..If hdfs is not required  but you still want a hadoop compatible
dfs, you could also try gluster which may be a little better suited for read
only , unblocked data for streaming from a front end.