Hbase is not harcoded to hdfs: it works on any file system that implements the
file system interface, we've run it on glusterfs for example.  I assume some
have also run it on s3 and other alternative file systems .

** However **

For best performance, direct block io hooks on hdfs can boost high throughout
applications on hdfs.

Ultimately, the hbase root directory only needs a fully qualified FileSystem
uri which maps to a FileSystem class.