Hi tim.  Id suggest using apache bigtop for this.

BigTop integrates the hadoop ecosystem into a single upstream distribution,
packages everything, curates smoke tests, vagrant, docker recipes for
deployment.
Also, we curate a blueprint hadoop application (bigpetstore) which you
build yourself, easily, and can run to generate, process, and visualize the
bigdata ecosystem.

You can also easily deploy bigtop onto ec2 if you want to pay for it .

--
jay vyas