Hi

Could you give more information regarding problem?

I did not get what do you mean by this statement
>> Upon submitting the mapreduce job to the resource manager, it is getting
>> stuck while at getResources() for 10 min, timing out and then it is trying
>> other node manager.
If MRAppMaster does not communicate to RM for 10 mins, RM will expire that
applicationattempt and try to re launch it.  But you  have mentioned that it is
trying to other node manager, which daemon is trying to other node manager?

I suggest  you that whenever there is problem like getting stuck, take a thread
dump using jstack <pid>, this would help analyzing issue faster.

Any free ports i.e  1024<=x<=65365 should work fine.

Thanks & Regards
Rohith Sharma K S