From: Mingyu Kim [mailto:m...@palantir.com]
Sent: 09 June 2016 10:36
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: Matt Cheah
Subject: Securely discovering Application Master's metadata or sending a secret
to Application Master at submission

Hi all,

To provide a bit of background, I’m trying to deploy a REST server on
Application Master and discover the randomly assigned port number securely. I
can easily discover the host name of AM through YARN REST API, but the port
number needs to be discovered separately. (Port number is assigned within a
specified range with retries to avoid port conflicts) An easy solution would be
to have Application Master make a callback with the port number, but I’d like
to design it such that YARN nodes don’t talk back to the node that submitted
the YARN application. So, this problem reduces to securely discovering a small
metadata of Application Master. To be clear, by being secure, I’m less
concerned about exposing the information to others, but more concerned about
the integrity of data (e.g. the metadata actually originated from the
Application Master.)

I was hoping that there is a way to register some Application Master metadata
to Resource Manager, but there doesn’t seem to be a way. Another option I
considered was to write the information to a HDFS file, but in order to verify
the integrity of the content, I need a way to securely send a private key to
Application Master, which I’m not sure what the best is.

To recap, does anyone know if there is a way

•         To register small metadata securely from Application Master to
Resource Manager so that it can be discovered by the YARN application submitter?

•         Or, to securely send a private key to Application Master at the
application submission time?

Thanks a lot,
Mingyu