Hello,

I am working on getting Hadoop running within our organization. Our
high-level use case is to be able to say we're running with end-to-end
encryption. It looks like there are two major strategies for getting this
done in Hadoop:

A) HDFS Transparent Encryption:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/TransparentEncryption.html
B) Secure Mode:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SecureMode.html

In our case, we are less concerned with Kerberos' user-level
authentication, but we want node-to-node encryption and encryption-at-rest.
With cluster applications, I typically achieve encryption-at-rest with LUKS
and then enable an application's TLS settings to achieve
encryption-in-motion.

What is my best strategy for Hadoop? Here are a couple of questions:

1) The docs say I have to create a new directory, but can I configure HDFS
Transparent Encryption to operate across an entire volume?
2) If I just need encrypted-in-motion, can I do just the "Data
confidentiality" part of the Secure Mode doc, or does that depend on
setting up Kerberos?

Thank You!
-danny

--