That parameter is related to data encryption on RPC when a client connects.

I never checked, but if you use it without kerberos you should have encryption without authentication. So, for example, if you do:

hdfs dfs -touch /tmp/myfile

the file will be owned by the user that is running the hdfs command, the user must exists on all machines.

The only difference compared with a non-secure configuration will be that the data between client and server will be encrypted using symmetric encryption.

I'm not security expert, but I think (*I'm theorizing*) that in this case there is a security risk related to the handshake in the initial connection, so you should run the command in this way only from a trusted host.

--

Antonio