By multiple JVMs I mean multiple HBase clients, it's hard to get more
basic than that. Were you planning on doing that 100TB upload from a
single client? If so, you should revise your plans. Do split the input
between many inserting processes, use MapReduce if you can as it will
do that for you, and you will leverage the parallelism offered by
HBase/Hadoop.

For the rest, remember that google is your friend.

J-D