On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Martin Arnandze <marnan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm doing an experiment on an 8 node cluster, each of which has 6GB of RAM
> allocated to hbase region server. Basically, doing a bulk import processing
> large files,

How large?

Unless very large, it should not be OOMEing.

but some imports require to do gets and scans as well. In the master
UI I see that the heap used gets very close to the 6GB limit, but I
know hbase is eager for memory and will use the heap as much as
possible.I use block caching. Looking at similar posts I see that
modifying the handler count and memory store upper/ower limits may be
key to solving this issue. Nevertheless I wanted to ask if there is a
way to estimate the extra memory used by hbase that makes it crash and
if there are other configuration settings I should be looking into to
prevent OOME. The job runs correctly for some time but region servers
eventually crash.

> More information about the cluster:
>
> - All nodes have 16GM total memory.
> - 7 nodes running region server (6GB) +  datanodes (1GB) + task trackers (1GB
> Heap).  Map reduce jobs running w/ 756MB tops each.

Good.  How many MR child tasks can run on each node concurrently?

> - 1 node running hbase master (2GB Heap allocated), namenode (4GB), Secondary
> Namenode (4GB), JobTracker (4GB) and Master (2GB).
> - 3 of the nodes have zookeeper running with 512MB Heap
>
> Many thanks,
>   Martin

Can we see the lines before the below is thrown?   Also, do a listing
(ls -r) on this region in hdfs and lets see if anything pops out about
files sizes, etc.  You'll need to manually map the below region name
to its encoded name to figure the region but the encoded name should
be earlier in the log.  You'll do something like:

bin/hbase fs -lsr /hbase/table_import/REGION_ENCODED_NAME

Thanks,
St.Ack