Stack,

I don't think that is my case. I am doing random reads across the namespace and
the way the table is designed, they should be distributed across region
servers. As I understand, rows are sorted by the key and we should design the
table such that we fetch data across regions and I have tried to achieve the
same. If there is something else you want me to read, please point me to it. I
have read the Hbase Architecture doc and also the one Lars George has posted

I have one 2G file and other smaller ones on the cluster, but currently I am
fetching data from this 2G lookup only.
The number of regions is as follows:
Server1: regions=41, 2G heap , also the hbase master, regionserver, namenode,
tasktracker, jobtracker, datanode
Server2: regions=36, 4G heap , datanode, tasktracker and regionserver
Server3: regions=37 - this server gets 0 requests or 0 hitRatio, 4G heap ,
datanode, tasktracker and regionserver
Total:114

That link mentioned that some servers have 0 hitRatio and says that is
acceptable (?) , but that's for inserts- I am not sure if same applies to reads.
http://search-hadoop.com/m/ESeeZ1B082l
How do I confirm where the .META is hosted. Currently, I look the master log
and check the machine it is hitting for .META table.

My main concern is that before the upgrade to 0.20.6,  .5M rows took 520
seconds (which you though was slow) on this 3-node cluster and now, after the
upgrade and whatever other changes hbase/hdfs went through, it takes nearly an
hour to do the same (with the same data and same rows being fetched). There is
something really wrong with HDFS/Hbase here.
I need help with diagnosing this. Let me know if you need any logs from me for
this. I did send some logs last time. Did you get a chance to look at those?

Thanks.