Hi all,

from time to time we come to a sitation where .META. table seems to be stuck
in some corrupted state.
In particular, attempts to create more tables cause

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.NoServerForRegionException: No server
address listed in .META. for region
LEAD_DATA,,1298484698945.8226d7a44286402e80c9b991d2c00cc3.

The server is not even under any load worth mentioning at the moment.

Table manipulations are failing with both shell and HBAdmin, so it's not an
isolated shell issue (there seems to be similar issue related to shell only,
872, but it's pretty old one).

I scanned for solutions for this particular error, and it seems to be
revolving around flushing .META. , major compact it and restarting the
master(s).

In our case, only restarting the master helped to remove the condition.

logs seem to be stacktrace-free.

My questions are --

-- is there a way to figure out what causes those inconsistences in .META.?
-- is there a way to fix that other than restarting master? Is restarting
master in this case implies a downtime?

Thanks.
-Dmitriy