Thanks very much for your replies.

Something was unclear in my previous emails. I had one node started first
and another was added in later. And there're already some regions created in
the first started node. Then I started to import more data into the same
table and found that it's always the first node that keeps serving the data
writes.

Actually I was expecting that the region data would be re-balanced to
another data node. And I did see in the master log that HBase master is
trying to unassigning some regions from the overloaded node and re-assign
them to the less-loaded node. But the real data was never migrated.

I think I observed the region index and cache rebalancing from the master
log (correct me if I were wrong).  Does anyone know how frequently this
happens?

Another question is, does HBase support data and I/O rebalancing? Or I
should rely on HDFS to do data rebalancing? I guess HBase should also
support data rebalancing otherwise every time I restart HBase the regions
will have to be rebalanced again. Will someone tell me how to configure or
program HBase to do data rebalancing?

Thanks,
-- Weiwei