Can you provide more detail on versions and memory sizes.

In general, the JVM grows to occupy the allotted heap so your reports
below about its using 95% and 99% could be just 'normal' behavior.

When its 'unresponsive', what do the logs say?  What do you mean by
'unresponsive'?  DN won't take any load?  Your client can't put any
data into hbase?

Thanks,