On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Oleg Ruchovets <oruchov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to ask about major compaction best practices:
>
> 1) Have we to run it automatically or manually

Major compaction runs once a day by default.  It has a tendency
whereby it will start just when you do not want it to run.  So, change
the configuration or run the compaction manually yourself at request
downtimes (Running it manually is a pretty common practise).

> 2) How ofter it should run

Depends (Sorry).

Major compactions clean up data that has been deleted or
aged/versioned out of consideration.  This clean up can help improve
performance if there are obsoleted versions/deletes that the Scans and
Gets do not have to continuously skip.

Study your system.  See what effect a major compaction has, if any, on
your setup.

> 3) Where can I read about compaction process and does it have potential
> problem that I should know.

What Doug said,
St.Ack