I'm trying to fully understand all the possibilities of what HBase has to offer but I can determine a valid use case for multiple versions. Can someone please explain some real life use cases for this?

Also, at what point is there "too many versions". For example to store all the queries a user has performed couldn't we create a column family and have max versions set to something really high (1M). Using this method we could then ask for the last X amount of queries by setting the max versions to X. It seems like this can also be accomplished by creating a separate row for each query but I'm not sure why one strategy would be better than the other.

Please help me understand. Thanks!