I was thinking the same.

In an ideal world, I guess, the namenodes would be quorum based.
Clients would be aware of all the namenodes and fire updates in parallel to all
namenodes, and updates not return until N namenodes confirmed the update.

To make it easier one could initially require that all namenodes need to
receive the update and only one namenode would serve lookups.

When namenodes come up they somehow need to synchronize with each other.
(waving hands here)

When a namenode fails there would still be some manual intervention to remove
it from the quorum, or to switch to another one if this was the main namenode.

This would put twice the traffic on the network (w.r.t. to namenode traffic),
slow the clients to the speed to the slowest namenode, etc. etc.

And nothing is ever simple in distributed computing; there will be a 1000
corner cases to consider.
The NFS approach will at least work, and it is easier to reason about the state
the system is in.

-- Lars