Eran,

see my response inline...

On May 10, 2012, at 2:17 PM, Eran Kutner wrote:

> Michale I appreciate the feedback but I'd have to disagree.
> In my case for example, I need to look at a complete set of data produced
> by the map phase in order to make a decision and write it to Hbase. So sure
> I could write all the mappers output to hbase then have another map only
> job to scan the output of the previous one do the calculation then write
> the output to another table. I don't really see why would that be better
> than using a reducer.

You disagree without actually benchmarking the two?
That's pretty bold. :-)

2 things.
First Reducers are expensive.
Second, writing sorted records in to HBase is also more expensive than if
you're writing records in random order.

Here's a caveat. I don't know what you're attempting to do, so I can only say
in general, I've found it faster to write 2 mappers and avoid using reducers.

> As for the other tips, I agree the files are too large, so I increased the
> file size, but I don't really see why is that relevant to the error we're
> talking about. Why having many regions cause timeouts on HDFS?
> I do have mslabs configured and GC tuneups.
> I do run multiple reducers, I suspect that's aggravating the problem not
> helping it.
> As far as I can tell dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec is relevant only for
> balancing done with the balancer, not for the initial replication.

With respect to the number of regions... you'd probably get a better answer
St.Ack or JD.

With respect to the bandwidth issue...
We set it higher to something like 10% of the available pipe. Not that its
going to be used all the time, but the smaller the pipe, the longer it takes to
copy a file from one node to another.
How much of an impact it has on your performance... Not sure. But its always
something to check and think about.

BTW, I did a quick read on your problem. You didn't say which release/version
of HBase you were running....